The postnatal period begins after the delivery of the baby and lasts for six to eight weeks. During this time, a new mother undergoes many physical and emotional changes, and learns to care for her newborn. A new mother should also take good care of herself to restore her strength. Some tips for a new mother are as follows:
- Sleep while your baby sleeps. This helps you to gradually regain your strength.
- Go out for a walk to get some fresh air and sunshine.
- Emphasize on your nutritional intake and maintain a healthy diet. This promotes healing and recovery.
- Breastfeed your baby at appropriate times.
- Take care of your perineal area. Keep yourself clean and dry.
- Refrain from alcohol during breastfeeding.
- Contact your health care professional immediately if you notice any problem signs such as heavy bleeding, breast infection or pain in the pelvic region.